Back in April I posted about a goal I had for this year: setting up a decent workbench for myself in a corner of my (minuscule) home office. As the year comes to an end, I think it’s time for an update.
Did it happen exactly as planned? No…
Did I make progress? Yes!
So what happened?
We’re in limbo right now. We live in a rented apartment, which the owner has put on the market for sale. That means at any given day we may get a 30-day notice to vacate. I simply didn’t feel it was worth it to go all the way with getting rid of stuff to make room for a bigger table (it will inevitably happen when we have to move) and buying the table/bench (that would have to fit the exact dimensions of the space available here, possibly not being the ideal size for the next place) just yet.
I did make some improvements: I doubled my work area (with an additional table – another dinner tray table! – I use when I’m working on something) and I added a few items to my set of equipment. I got a digital multimeter (my old one is analog, which I still keep as I read it can be useful to show changes in values) a bench-top power supply, hot glue gun, several large breadboards, much needed tools and a myriad of parts.
All in all I don’t have the workbench I had envisioned (yet), but I have a bigger workspace, much needed new equipment and a lot more parts to play with!
On a related note, I came up with ideas for two bigger projects I want to work on which will be ongoing, in addition to the small stuff I build for learning purposes. I’ve placed so many orders from MCM Electronics, Jameco clearance center/outlet, Lightake and CuteDigi lately, that I’m sure my husband now fears I have a shopping addiction, given the volume of boxes left at our doorstep… I am excited to start working on these projects and sharing them here. Stay tuned!
My current setup:
The work area: